Minor Variation of a Club Premises Certificate

Information and advice on how to apply for a minor variation of a club premises certificate.

Licence summary

Where the club wishes to make a minor variation to their club premises certificate the process is different to that of applying for a new Club Premises Certificate or a full variation.

You may not use a minor variation to do the following:

  1. Vary substantially the premises to which it relates
  2. Add the supply of alcohol to members or guests as a an activity authorised by the certificate
  3. Authorise the supply of alcohol to members or guest at any time between 11pm and 7am
  4. An increase in the amount of time on any day during which alcohol may be supplied to members or guests.

Eligibility criteria

Only the authorised officers of the club (or their agent) may apply for a minor variation.


Regulation summary

A summary of the eligibility criteria for this licence


Application evaluation process

There is a non-refundable administration fee of £89.00.

Applications are made in a prescribed format and must be sent to the licensing authority for the area where the club premises are located together with the required fee.

Applicants are required to advertise their application at the club premises on white paper to distinguish them from new and full variation applications, which are advertised on pale blue paper.

On receipt of the application, the licensing authority must consult relevant responsible authorities if there is any doubt about the impact of the variation on the licensing objectives. There is no right to a hearing in the case of minor variations. The licensing authority will serve a notice of its decision on the applicant, and any person who has made relevant representations.


Will Tacit Consent apply?

No. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted.

How to apply

Unfortunately you are not able to apply online at present


You can apply by completing the following:



Failed application redress

Please contact us in the first instance.

The Licensing Manager
Licensing Service
South Somerset District Council
The Council Offices
Brympton Way
BA20 2HT

Telephone: 01935 462462

Contact us online

Where an application is refused it can be resubmitted through the full variation process.


Applicant redress

In the first instance please contact:

The Licensing Manager
Licensing Service
South Somerset District Council
The Council Offices
Brympton Way
BA20 2HT

Contact us online



If an application for a licence is refused there is no right to a hearing.

Consumer complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Other redress

The chief police officer for the police area where the premises are located can apply to the licensing authority for a summary review of the licence if the premises are licensed to sell alcohol by retail and a senior officer has given a certificate that they are of the opinion that the premises are associated with either serious crime or disorder or both. The licensing authority must within 48 hours of receipt of the application consider whether it is necessary to take interim steps pending the determination of a review of the premises licence. A review hearing will be held with 28 days of receipt of the application and the licence holder and other interested parties may make representations.

A decision made by the licensing authority at a summary review of a premises licence does not have effect until the end of the period given for appealing against the decision or if the decision is appealed against, the time the appeal is disposed of.

Appeals are made to a Magistrates' court within 21 days of notice of the decision.

The Magistrates Court
Petters Way
BA20 1SW

Telephone: 01935 426281

Trade associations

Association of Licensed Multiple Retailers (ALMR)
Broadcasting, Entertainment, Cinematograph and Theatre Union (BECTU)
Federation of Licensed Victuallers Associations (FLVA)

Public Register

View list of public registers.

EUGO logo        Business link