Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a single monthly payment for working age people that replaces the following benefits:

  • Housing Benefit
  • Jobseekers Allowance (Income Based)
  • Employment and Support Allowance (Income Related)
  • Income Support
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit

Universal Credit is administered by the Department for Work and Pensions and South Somerset District Council.
Those customers claiming Universal Credit (UC) will have their housing support paid as part of their UC and will no longer be able to claim Housing Benefit.

Who is not affected by this change?

You will still claim Housing Benefit if:

  • you have reached the qualifying age for State Pension Customers
  • you are living in Supported Accommodation. This is accommodation where you receive support such as care, supervision, or counselling & advice. Some examples of supported accommodation are hostels, refuges, and supported living complexes
  • you have three or more children

For further information go to Gov UK and to apply for Universal Credit go to Apply for Universal Credit

Need more information about Universal Credit?

The Department for Work and Pensions have put together a new website www.understandinguniversalcredit.gov.uk/ with help and advice about the benefit.

The Department for Work and Pensions has shared some videos showing you how to apply for Universal Credit online and the verification process www.youtube.com/UniversalCreditinAction

Need help with making an on-line claim for Universal Credit?

If you need help to apply online please contact the Benefits Team on 01935 462462 to arrange an appointment.

Moving from Housing Benefit to Universal Credit?

From 11 April 2018, if you are in receipt of Housing Benefit but have a change in circumstances that triggers a new claim for Universal Credit, you will be awarded an additional 2 weeks Housing Benefit. The Housing Benefit will be paid at the maximum rate, less any deductions for the Benefit Cap or Non-dependants, not the amount you were receiving before the change


Housing Benefit entitlement was £25.50 a week before the change triggering a new claim for Universal Credit.

Maximum Housing Benefit is calculated to be £150 a week after any deductions for the Benefit Cap or non-dependants

Payment will be 2 weeks at £150, giving a total payment of £300.

This payment will be made to whoever normally receives your Housing Benefit payments if you are not moving house. 

However, if you are claiming Universal Credit as you have moved address we must make this payment to you. We will contact you to make payment arrangements.

Council Tax Support

Council Tax Support IS NOT included in Universal Credit. However if you have already applied for Universal Credit and told the Department for Work and Pensions that you have a Council Tax liability they will tell us you about your Universal Credit award. We can use this notification as your claim for Council Tax Support and we will contact you for further information if we need it.

Change in Circumstances

If you currently get Housing Benefit and have a change in your circumstances it may mean you have to move on to Universal Credit. If this is the case you will need to make an on-line claim for Universal Credit. You should tell us about the change as normal and we will tell you if this means a new claim for Universal Credit has to be made.  Go to our Online Area to report any change in circumstances.

Already receiving Universal Credit?

If you are already receiving Universal Credit you will need to contact Universal Credit to report the change in in your circumstances.