Food premises registration

Apply online to register your food business.

Licence summary

EC regulation No. 852/2004 require food business operators to register their premises with the local authority 28 days before opening. See How to apply.



If you are a childminder business that provides food as part of your childminding service, you do not need to register separately with us as a food business. This will happen automatically when you register with Ofsted via Somerset County Council. Further guidance can be found on the Food Standards Agency website.


Mobile Catering Units

Mobile catering units need to be registered with the local authority where the vehicle is stored over night.


Community and Village Halls

Community and village halls and organisations using these facilities to prepare and/or provide food (hot or cold) may need to register.  Further information on food and village halls can be found on the Food Standards Agency website guidance or see guidance document.

Eligibility criteria

There is no charge to register premises and registration does not need to be renewed periodically. The council cannot refuse to register premises.

If your business involves the manufacture of meat, fish dairy or egg products and you plan to supply other premises, you may require formal "Approval". Please see our Approved Premises page for further information.

For further information on food safety related issues please see our Food safety pages.


Regulation summary

Regulation (EC) No. 852/2004.

Application evaluation process

There is no fee.

Food businesses must register with the local authority at least 28 days before opening.

Prior to registering should your business proposal include alterations or buildings works to the premises we strongly advise you to contact the following, to seek advice on compliance with the relevant aspects of legislation they may individually enforce:

i. For all developments requiring planning permission contact:


ii. For developments where you intend to carry out building works controlled by the Building Regulations contact:

Building Control Service 


Will tacit consent apply?

Tacit consent is not applicable as registration only.

How to apply

You can apply online for to register your food premises.

Food Premises Registration

Apply online for a Food Premises Registration

Alternatively, you can register by completing the Food Registration Form.

Information provided on the Food Registration Form will form part of our Public Register as required by the Food Law Code of Practice (England) - April 2015. 

Failed application redress

Not applicable as registration only

Customer complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Making it easier for businesses to appeal

The Food Standards Agency website has a dedicated business appeals section which explains what businesses should expect from local authority inspections, how to determine if food safety officer actions or requirements are reasonable (and if there are grounds for an appeal), and, in England, how to challenge local authority decisions or actions through a panel called the Independent Business Appeals Panel.


Other redress


Trade associations

Food Standards Agency

Chartered Institute of Environmental Health  



 Local food hygiene course providers and trainers

Public Register and other useful information

View list of food registered premises on the Public Register

Food and Hygiene Publications and Leaflets

Enforcement Policy and leaflet

Food Standards Agency -

 Food and Safety Unit Service Plan 2017/18

Food Safety Fees and Charges

Village Halls and Food Guidance

For further information please contact the Food Safety Team

EUGO logo        Business link