Make a Complaint

 If you are dissatisfied about the standard of service received by us, please tell us.

Making a Complaint

Your comment will be handled in accordance with our complaints procedure outlined below and you can make a complaint here: Make a complaint online


If you wish to report a missed collection of Refuse or Recycling please use this link. Report a Missed Collection

The Somerset Waste Partnership (SWP) who collect Refuse and Recycling on behalf of us also have their own complaints procedure and standards SWP Complaints Procedure

Did you know that you can also get involved?

  • Is there anything you want to say to South Somerset District Council, whether it's about district council services or something else that affects the community?
  • What do you think we could be doing better?
  • Do you have ideas that you think we should listen to?    

 Find out how to get involved

Complaints procedure

We define a complaint as "an expression of dissatisfaction, however made, about the standard of our service, actions or lack of action by the Council or its staff affecting an individual customer or group of customers".  They are dealt with in a series of escalating stages.

Stage 1 - Service Manager:

Any South Somerset District Council officer receiving a complaint will:

  1. Establish the exact nature of your complaint (this may be recorded by our Customer Services team).
  2. Forward your complaint to the responsible Service Manager.
  3. The Service Manager will acknowledge your complaint in writing. A full reply will be posted to you within 10 working days; however if we are unable to reply to you within that period, we will acknowledge receipt of your letter within 5 working days and give you a realistic timescale.

Stage 2 - Directors:

If you are not satisfied with the response, please ask for your complaint to be referred to the Director responsible for the Service. The Director will investigate the matter and respond to you in full within 10 working days or 5 working days for a holding reply (which will give you a realistic timescale to expect your response).

Stage 3 - Local Government Ombudsman:

If you feel your complaint has not been resolved after stage 2, you may wish to pursue your complaint through the Local Government Ombudsman. You will be forwarded the contact details for the Ombudsman after Stage 2.


You can find out more about the Ombudsman by visiting their website Local Government Ombudsman.


Complaints about councillors

 Formal complaints against councillors should be addressed to our Monitoring Officer, who can offer advice and further details on this process. 

Find out more about councillor complaints




Complaints about Financial Impropriety

Complaints about financial impropriety should be addressed to South West Audit Partnership. 

Contact South West Audit Partnership