Doing business with us

Our annual expenditure is in excess of £11 million each year. Individual services take responsibility for purchasing their own goods and services although there are some corporate contracts for stationery, printing and mobile phones etc

How to win council business

We operate a fair and open competition by following transparent competitive quotation and tender processes. It aims to provide a wide range of businesses with a variety of commercial opportunities. We endeavour to provide all businesses with the knowledge they require enabling them to submit quotations or tenders for contracts and provide guidance on some key factors that businesses will need to consider in relation to the procurement process.

Effective relationships with suppliers, both large and small, together with the development of the local supply chain are fundamental to achieving our objectives.

What goods and services do we procure?

The main items procured by us are listed below.

  • Stationery
  • Office consumables
  • Office furniture and Equipment
  • Specialist ICT hardware and software
  • Computer consumables
  • Hire of Accommodation
  • Consultants
  • Energy and water
  • Books, audio visual materials and periodicals
  • Specialist training
  • Vehicle hire
  • Skip hire
  • Static phones
  • Advertising
  • Financial services
  • Hotel accommodation
  • Food commodities/vending provisions
  • Catering equipment
  • Radio Units/pagers
  • Training/conference venues
  • Seeds, plants and fertilizers
  • Open spaces machinery/tools
  • Sports and Play equipment
  • Equipment hire
  • Cleaning and domestic items for canteen
  • Protective clothing/uniforms
  • Repair equipment
  • Vehicle Fuels
  • Agency staff
  • Purchased, leased or contract hire vehicles

The above list is in no particular priority order and is not intended as an exhaustive list.

What contracts do we let?

South Somerset District Council procure a diverse number of goods and services and it is due to this very fact that contracts in places are handled by individual services.

Amongst others this may include:

  • Sports, Arts and Leisure
  • Property and Engineering Services
  • Economic Development
  • Support Services
  • Environmental Health
  • Housing Services
  • Revenues and Benefits
  • Area Development & Partnerships
  • Financial Services
  • Countryside and Tourism
  • Communications
  • Streetscene
  • E Government and Technology
  • Parking Services
  • Heritage
  • Human Resources
For more information, please contact us.